- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter), divided
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 14-ounce can diced Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
In a large saute pan over medium-high, melt 2 tablespoons of the ghee. Add the shrimp and sear for about 1 minute per side. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and set aside. Discard any liquid in the pan.
Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add the onion, jalapeno and garlic. Saute for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Add the turmeric, chili powder, ginger, lime leaves, tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Return the shrimp to the pan, mixing and heating thoroughly. Stir in the lime zest and juice, and the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.